1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn flour or corn meal
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup skim milk
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening or drippings
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400° F. Heast grease in 8 or 9-inch pan. Cast iron skillet is the best for this. That is what mama and grandma always used and I grew up using.
- Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour in most of hot grease, leaving some in the pan. Mix again.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.